School Board - Kitimat Schools - Kitimat Education
"Educational foundations have been established in Kitimat. These standards and traditions are found in the curricular and extra-curricular activities of the school, and have come about through striving for high academic standings and service to others." Frank J. Bower
School began in Kitimat, September 15, 1952, with 26 children and three teachers - Mr. Bower, Mr. Scheutze, and Miss Cavill. With the construction of smelter and town, workers with their families arrived and up to 6 new pupils enrolled each week in the small school at Smeltersite. In February 1953, the first issue of the school paper "TAMITIK" was published as a senior student's English project.
School District Number 80 formed July 1, 1953, and plans for new schools in the Townsite were made. Skilled teachers were needed. School District No. 80 (Kitimat) in 1961 offered one of the better salary schedules in the Province and provided accommodation at a nominal fee for single teachers in houses shared with other teachers, and apartments or townhouses for married teachers and their families.
Some important educational dates:
- Nechako Elementary School opened January 1955 with nine classrooms. The official opening occurred on June 16, 1955.
- Cormorant Elementary School opened October 1956.
- Mount Elizabeth Secondary School opened September 1958. New additions were added in 1968, 1969, and 1974.
- Anthony's School opened in 1957.
- Kildala Elementary School opened November 22, 1957.
- Whitesail Elementary School was completed in 1958 but did not open until September 1963. The School was renamed Roy Wilcox Elementary School, May 14, 1977.
- Alexander Elementary School opened in September 1970.
- The strap was retired in 1985.